What is acne?
Pores are tiny holes in your skin that can be blocked by dirt, oil, bacteria, dead skin cells and other substances. A pimple (also known as a zit) can occur when this happens.
Acne is a condition where you have pimples that appear frequently, particularly if you experience them repeatedly. Acne is the skin condition that causes pimples.
Acne can be very common. Research shows that acne affects 9.4% of the world’s population. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne is the most common skin condition in the United States.
Although acne is not a risk to your overall health it can be very painful, especially if you have severe cases. Acne can also lead to scarring.
It’s clear that acne can cause emotional distress. Acne, acne scars and other visible areas on the body can impact self-esteem and confidence. They can also lead to anxiety and depression.
Acne is a common condition.
Remember that acne can be treated. There are many effective ways to reduce the amount of pimples and scarring.
What are the various types of acne?
You might see a variety of pimples if you have acne.
The most common types of acne are whiteheads and blackheads (also known as comedones).
Blackheads (or open comedones) are open pores on the skin’s surface. These pimples get darker because of the oxygen in the air, not dirt.
Closed comedones are raised bumps that appear under your skin’s surface. They are still flesh-colored.
These are known as inflammation lesions and can cause scarring.
- These red bumps can be caused by inflamed hair follicles.
- These tiny red pimples are covered in pus.
- These lumps, which can be painful and often hard to see, develop under your skin’s surface.
- These lumps under your skin are often painful and contain pus.
What are the signs and symptoms of acne?
Acne can occur anywhere on the body. However, you will most often notice breakouts around your eyes.
- Face and neck
Pimples can cause skin to have a rough texture.
Acne can also be caused by:
- Hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration include dark spots or patches (hyperpigmentation), as well as redness
- Inflammation and swelling
- Touching or not touching can cause pain and tenderness.
- Acne breakouts may also cause skin discoloration or scarring.
- You can increase your chances of scarring by popping pimples. So, don’t squeeze the pimples.
What causes acne?
- Acne is when your pores become blocked by oil, dead skin, bacteria, or other substances.
- Every pore on your skin leads to a hair follicle. A hair and an oil gland make up the follicle.
- Oil is released by the oil gland and travels up the hair to the pore. Sebum keeps your skin soft and lubricated.
- Acne can be caused by one or more problems with the lubrication process.
For example, acne could occur when:
- Your follicles are producing too much oil
- Your pores are clogged with dead skin cells
- Your pores are clogged with bacteria
- Pimples can result from any of these issues.